Patients who undergo gastric bypass surgery often see dramatic, life-changing results with long lasting mental and physical benefits. But the surgery itself requires a significant lifestyle change in order to be truly successful. So just how does gastric bypass surgery change lives?
Physical Benefits of Gastric Bypass Surgery
Significant weight loss that comes with gastric bypass creates tremendous change in a patient’s body. These changes offer many benefits to those who struggle with obesity. Patients who lose a great deal of weight find that they often enjoy:
- Improvement in comorbid health conditions such as type-2 diabetes, obstructive sleep apnea, high blood pressure, osteoarthritis, high cholesterol, etc.
- Lowered risk of acquiring obesity-related health conditions including certain cancers, stroke, cardiovascular disease, metabolic syndrome, etc.
- Decreased need to take daily medications
- Improved mobility and exercise tolerance
- Increased energy level
- Restoration of fertility and improved sexual performance
- Better sleep
Patients who experience the physical benefits of weight loss surgery often say they feel many years younger and that their energy levels are the highest that they have ever experienced.
Psychological Benefits of Gastric Bypass Surgery
Gastric bypass surgery can come with some important psychological benefits as well. When a patient achieves successful weight loss after bariatric surgery, they often enjoy:
- Improved confidence and self-esteem
- Pride in their accomplishment of navigating surgery and the post-surgical diet and exercise plan
- Decreased anxiety and/or depression
- Improved body image
- Greater interest in trying new things and participating in activities
These changes take place gradually over the course of many months, but the end result is a tremendous improvement in overall quality of life for the gastric bypass patient.
While the process isn’t easy, most gastric bypass patients say they wish they had done it sooner. Gastric bypass surgery can add years to your life, and make those years much more enjoyable. If you would like to learn more about gastric bypass, or another type of bariatric surgery, contact Dr. Malladi to schedule a consultation.