If you’re obese and have difficulty losing weight, you may qualify for weight loss surgery. Typical qualifications for bariatric surgery include:
- A body mass index (BMI) over 40
- A BMI of 35 accompanied with at least one comorbid condition, such as diabetes, high blood pressure, or heart disease
- Over 100 pounds overweight
- Inability to achieve a healthy body weight for a sustained period of time, even with a medically supervised weight loss plan.
These are the qualifications that all bariatric surgeons require before performing weight loss surgery on a patient. But just because you meet these criteria does not mean you will automatically qualify for surgery.
Additional Qualifications for Weight Loss Surgery
Patients who undergo weight loss surgery must be physically and mentally healthy enough to be able to devote the time and energy required to make the surgery and recovery process a success. Before approving you for bariatric surgery, your surgeon will evaluate you to ensure you will be able to participate fully in the process. This means you should be
- Free of a drug and/or alcohol addiction – A prior problem that has been treated and resolved for a year or more will not stop you from qualifying for bariatric surgery.
- Mentally stable and free of serious psychological conditions – An evaluation with a therapist is part of our pre-operative process to ensure that the patient has reasonable expectations and will be able to participate in their pre- and post-surgery care.
- A non-smoker – smoking compromises your body’s ability to heal from surgery. If you smoke, you will need to quit before surgery. Your surgeon can refer you to someone that can help.
- You must have previously made serious attempts to lose weight through behavior modification.
- You must be willing to make significant lifestyle changes to ensure your weight loss will last. If you are not ready to make this type of a commitment, you may not be ready for weight loss surgery.
Dallas & Plano Weight Loss Surgery
If you’re struggling to control your weight and are wondering whether you qualify for bariatric surgery, your first step is to contact a bariatric surgeon. Dr. Malladi is highly experienced in noninvasive surgery and widely respected in the medical community, so she can help you. If you’re not sure you meet the qualifications for weight loss surgery, or if you’re ready to get started, contact us to schedule a consultation.