If you are struggling with obesity or obesity-related health conditions such as diabetes and sleep apnea, you may be wondering what your options are for long-term effective weight loss. You’ve tried multiple diets and exercise routines and haven’t seen any results. If you want change and need help, then bariatric surgery may be right for you.
Before your bariatric surgery consultation, be sure you write down all the questions you have for the doctor you will see. Dr. Preeti Malladi is a leading weight-loss surgeon in the Dallas area and her patients have had much success losing weight with bariatric surgery. Below are some questions her patients commonly ask.
Questions About Candidacy
Before going in for bariatric surgery, you want to make sure that you’re a good candidate. Weight loss surgery is not right for everyone. If you are not interested or willing to make changes to your lifestyle after surgery, you will not be successful. To be sure you are a good candidate, ask your doctor the following questions:
- Am I eligible for weight-loss surgery?
- How can weight loss surgery improve my current health problems?
- Are there any underlying health conditions that could complicate this surgery?
- What type of lifestyle changes will be needed after surgery?
- How much weight loss do you recommend for me?
- What must I do to prepare for surgery?
- Which bariatric surgeries do you perform and how many per year?
- Which weight loss surgery would be best for me?
Questions About Risks and Side Effects
All surgeries come with risks, which are normally very small when a trained bariatric surgeon like Dr. Malladi performs the surgery. But smart patients gather all information necessary in order to make good decisions about their health. Ask your doctor the following questions:
- What are the potential risks of the surgery?
- What are the possible complications?
Questions About Recovery and Results
You will need to spend a few weeks recovering from bariatric surgery. You need to have realistic expectations about the aftercare process and what you should expect. Ask your doctor these questions, so that you can take proper care of yourself after surgery and achieve optimal results.
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- How long is at home recovery time and how long will I be off work?
- What will my diet after surgery be like?
- How long until I see weight loss results?
- What type of exercise routine do you recommend?
- What if I regain weight?
- Will I need plastic surgery to remove sagging skin?
Do you have more questions about bariatric surgery or are you interested in scheduling a surgery date? To learn more about bariatric surgery and discuss weight loss options, contact Dr. Preeti Malladi today. A trained bariatric surgeon with offices in Dallas and Plano, Dr. Malladi is here to help you achieve your weight loss goals and improve your health.